- ARTIST TRUST FELLOWSHIP AND MILLAY COLONY RESIDENCY: I am profoundly honored and grateful to be an Artist Trust Fellow! And to also receive a residency the Millay Colony for the Arts this year as part of the fellowship award. This very practical support will allow me vital focus on growth and development at crucial point in my work. It also gives me a sense of deep validation that the direction I’m going in with content, community engagement and artistic execution is resonating meaningfully with my colleagues and peers. THANK YOU SO MUCH ARTIST TRUST! http://artisttrust.org/index.php/award-winners/artist-profile/michelle_de_la_vega
- CENTER ON CONTEMPORARY ART (COCA) PROFILES – MICHELLE DE LA VEGA: Fun artist video profile by CoCA Gallery, a vital, iconoclast and enduring supporter of artists and creative innovation in Seattle. WA. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17BtA6Hizfo
- SUCCESSION: THE EXCHANGE PROJECT 2015-2016: A new site specific mixed media installation is in process this year that will delve into a communal sense of place in history and time. Central to the concept, process and “exchange” objectives of the project are two workshops with the Recovery Cafe (April 2015) and the Union Gospel Mission (August 2015). The work created in these workshops will be gratefully exhibited in the final installation and will also have pre-showings at both institutions. The installation will include video, researched text and new written material, 2D and 3D metalwork and collage. The project will also be created through a 5-week generative artist residency culminating in a 1-month exhibit at King County’s Gallery 4Culturehttp://galleries.4culture.org/ in Seattle, WA, Dec. 2015 – Feb 2016. Opening reception: January7, 2016. This project is generously funded by a 2015 King County 4Culture Arts Projects Grant.
- PLEXUS 2014: Michelle is in the process of collaborating with internationally renown Brazilian jazz composer and pianist Jovino Santos Neto http://www.jovisan.net/ on a large scale visual and sound installation project entitled Plexus. The focus of the Plexus is Seattle’s South Park neighborhood, and explores the unique economic, cultural and environmental challenges and strengths of the community. Michelle will be facilitating a visual art workshop for Chief Sealth High School students as part of the extensive community engagement initiative of the project. Plexus has gratefully received a generative residency and exhibition at COCA Gallery http://www.cocaseattle.org/ in Seattle this fall, and has received funding from King County’s 4Culture, The Seattle Foundation, and the City of Seattle Department of Neighborhoods. Opening reception November 20, 2014. Plexus is sponsored by La Sala http://www.lasalaseattle.org/.
- TINY HOUSE NATION: Michelle and the Mini House will be featured in the pilot season of Tiny House Nation, on the FYI Network. Air Dates: August 20, 2014 10ET, 11PT, August 25 and Sept 1, 2014 at 9pm. To watch the segment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj8pbtcsNns
- GIRL GODS: Michelle is currently rehearsing with the Pat Graney Company http://www.patgraney.org/ for their newest performance project entitled Girl Gods, scheduled to premier at On the Boards in the fall of 2015, accompanied by an installation at Seattle’s Frye Art Museum. The project received glowing reviews for the recent work in progress showing at Velocity in Seattle.
- HGTV: Michelle and the Mini House will be featured on the HGTV series “Home Strange Home” hosted by comedian, actor and TV personality Chuck Nice. Air Date: Thurs, Oct 31, 2013 at 1:00 pm est/12:00 pm cst. http://www.hgtv.com/home-
- Crash of Days Set Piece: Steel set piece for Seattle Choreographer Deborah Wolf’s contemporary dance piece Crash of Days, Men in Dance Concert, Broadway Performance Hall, Seattle WA, October 12-14 and 19-21, 2012
- October 2012: Mini House featured in renown London designer Terrence Conran’s book “How to Live in Small Spaces”.
- 2012: Three of Michelle’s design projects, including the Mini House will be featured in Jane Palmisano’s new book “Salvage Secrets, Design and Decor”.
- God Land: at Gallery 825, Los Angeles Art Association, Women’s Caucus for Art Momentum exhibit, February 17 to March 2, 2012
- Scoop Home and Art Magazine, Western Australia, Vroom to Move article about the Mini House, written by Emma Wheater. To see the article on page 162:
- God Land: at Sylvia White Gallery in Ventura, CA, August 3- September 3, 2011
- Labyrinth and Cells at Purdue University in the Stewart Center Gallery in West Lafayette, IN, August 29 – October 9, 2011
- Filiform at Fictilis Gallery in Seattle, WA, Pioneer Square district, August 4 – August 31, 2011
- Fidelity: Soon to start building a new large scale installation project that will be the second piece in the Dream House installation series. Fidelity will be showing September-October, 2012 at Gallery Vertigo in Vernon, B.C. Stay tuned for local Seattle exhibits.
- Johnson Solid Steel Sculptures: Three of these sculptures will be on exhibit at the City of Seattle Municipal Tower Building, 700 5th Ave. in downtown Seattle, July 2011 – July 2012. This exhibit is coordinated by the City of Seattle Employee Affinity Groups.
- Dream House – a new site specific installation of the dream house pillows will be showing at Fictilis Gallery in Seattle’s Pioneer Square district, July 6 – 31, 2011
- Skywire, showing at Kent Summer Art Exhibit, Kent City Hall, Kent WA, June 10 – August 26, 2011
- God Land, showing at Pierce College Gallery in Lakewood, WA, April 4 – April 29.
- Skywire, a new series of drawings is showing at Blowing Sands Gallery in the ReArt annual jurried show, April 9 – May 8, 2011. The opening reception is April 9, 6-8 pm.
- MORE Magazine, October 2010 Issue: The Mini House and I are feature article about three women who live in small houses. The article is written by Dominique Browning, former editor-in-chief of House and Garden magazine and author of Slow Love: How I Lost My Job, Put on My Pajamas, and Found Happiness. The photographer is David Meredith, who does all of those wonderful housewares photos for the Anthropologie catalog. The magazine will be in news stands for the month. To see the full article: http://www.more.com/reinvention-money/second-acts/living-your-dream-about-1000-square-feet-or-less-parking-spot
- Everybody Likes a Good Story at Columbia City Gallery in Seattle for their 5th annual jurried show, Unwrapped. Artist reception is September 25, 5-8 pm.
- God Land at Soil Galley for the a group exhibit Xanadu, curated by artist Erin Shafkind, August 2010
- Dream House is showing at Bellwether, in the beautiful new Bellevue City Hall building
June 20 – October 27, 2010.
- Showing two drawings/assemblage pieces at Kent Summer Art Exhibit, June 4 through August 27, 2010
- NY Times feature article by Brooklyn based art, architecture and visual culture writer Andrea Codrington about the construction and creation of the Mini House and the Dream House installation.
April 22, 2010, NY Times, Home and Garden Section. To see the full article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/22/garden/22garage.html?ref=garden